- Showcasing the best in online maps and mapping.
- New Arctic Ice Thickness Map
- Life Expectancy in the U.S.
- Mapping the spread of the Cordón Caulle volcano ash cloud
- Visualize world flights on a 3D globe
- Socal Networking Map of the World (June 2011)
- Before and after aerial imagery of the Wallow Fire, Arizona
- The Dangers of New York City Traffic
- Explore the Sun with Helioviewer
Author Archives: James
The European Space Agency (ESA) has released the first maps of sea-ice thickness in the Arctic, based on data from the CryoSat mission. Cryosat’s orbit goes within a couple of degrees of the poles, allowing it to collect much more … Continue reading
The Washington Post has drawn on a study from the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington to create a interactive graphic of life expectancy across the USA. The map ranks each county by life expectancy … Continue reading
On June 4, 2011 the Cordón Caulle volcano complex in Chile erupted sending volcanic ash high into the atmosphere. A combination of small ash particles, which take a long time to fall to Earth, and the high winds of the … Continue reading
During some types of natural hazards, satellites are capable of capturing remarkably clear imagery of affected areas. Below, before an after Landsat visible-infrared images of the Wallow fire in eastern Arizona, USA. The images cover 300 square miles (500 sq … Continue reading
Ron Gabriel’s 3-way street highlights the bad habits of New York motorists, cyclists and jaywalking pedestrians, focusing on the way such behaviour was exacerbated by the roll-out of bike lanes across the city. The video analyzes a series of dangerous looking … Continue reading